Lib Dems on Cornwall Council have announced that Leigh Frost, Councillor for Bodmin – St Petroc, will be their ‘Strong, sustainable economy’ spokesperson leading on economy for Cornwall Liberal Democrats.
Liberal Democrats believe people who work hard and contribute to society should have good, fulfilling, secure and well-paid jobs. Businesses and entrepreneurs who innovate and invest and behave responsibly to their employees’ well-being and to the environment should be supported.
We believe that Cornwall should be at the centre of an innovation-led revolution focussed on a ‘green and clean‘ recovery that harnesses the power of our natural assets.
Cllr Leigh Frost - Spokesperson for A strong, sustainable economy:
“In the recovery from Covid we need to think carefully about the Cornwall we want from an economic, environmental and social perspective to ensure Cornwall is a rounded and sustainable place to live and work.
“We need to look at how we work by enabling more people to work from home or local hubs to minimise car use and clean up air quality. Tourism is important and should be supported but we should find new ways to minimise the impact of tourism on the environment and residents.
“The vitality of our towns and coastal communities is important. We want to encourage people to use more sustainable forms of transport and shift away from polluting fossil fuels. We want to encourage people to use local retailers and revitalise our town centres.
“Cornwall has the potential to be the UK’s powerhouse by developing clean renewable energy and technology-led innovation which could lead to well paid careers for all.”
Liberal Democrats across Cornwall will be working in their communities towards:
- Cornwall to be a real living wage economy
- Cornwall to pilot a universal basic income
- A sustainable tourism sector that has less impact on the environment and residents
- Investment in town centres and community work hubs
- Investment in public transport to enabling people to travel more easily and reduce impact on the environment
- Creating a green investment fund
- Maximising investment in renewable energy and green infrastructure