Lib Dems on Cornwall Council are today celebrating the 1000th promised new home being completed. We have brought 380 long term empty homes back into use and helped deliver 1000 new homes for Cornwall - more than one in four of which are affordable homes for people with a connection to the local community.
Since 2017 Lib Dems on Cornwall Council have:
- Brought 380 long term empty homes back into use and helped deliver 1000 new homes for Cornwall - more than one in four of which are affordable homes for people with a connection to the local community.
- Secured recognition as one of the top councils in the country for providing affordable homes every year since 2017. There are now 8,000 fewer people on the housing waiting list compared to 2017.
- Prevented over 2,600 households in Cornwall from becoming homeless by giving them early help and support.
- Cut the number of people sleeping rough in Cornwall by three-quarters since 2016-17, aided by our multi-agency Nos Da Kernow partnership, and expanded specialist accommodation and services for homeless people.
- Helped make the homes of over 3,000 vulnerable households cheaper to heat, as part of our commitment to tackle fuel poverty and make sure no-one in Cornwall has to choose between heating and eating.
Leigh Frost, Lib Dem Councillor for Bodmin St Petroc said:
“I’m delighted that the Lib Dems on Cornwall Council have provided the 1000th home for Cornish families. Far too many young people and families had been unable to find a good quality home in Cornwall at a cost they can afford, either renting or buying.
“The Lib Dems on Cornwall Council have delivered their promise of the building affordable homes to buy and to help meet the needs of those who cannot afford to buy but need somewhere to rent at a fair price.
"The Conservative and Labour Governments sold off our council housing and left us with a declining number of rental homes for local families. Liberal Democrats have delivered on their 2017 election promise and provided homes to 1000 Cornish families. The pipeline now in place will provide many more homes over the next few years for Cornish people and we will continue to stand up for Cornwall.”